There are many good reasons to celebrate in May. Beyond the standard spring holidays, it’s a month with lots of fun national days. These often trend on social media and in the media, so why not take these ideas to your advertisers? To help you, we put together these May national day campaign ideas!
May Boasts Many Month-Long Celebrations
May is the national month to commemorate many pastimes, causes and more.
National Barbecue Month
Any company in the outdoor living spaces industry should leverage this to build excitement around barbecues. Many consumers have spent the last year upgrading their exterior spaces, and now they’ll be enjoying them. Ad campaign ideas include:
- Grill giveaways: Run promotions on linear and digital to announce the competition. This would also work well with SMS campaigns. You’ll want consumers to provide at least an email address when they enter the giveaway, which allows your advertiser to continue building appeal via email marketing.
- “Show Us What You’re Grilling” contests: Prompt grillers to share their meals on social media, tagging the advertiser. These can be highly engaging and can help brands add social media followers. They can “judge” entrants and give them a virtual “Best Griller” trophy.
- Specials on grills, furniture and more: Advertisers can also use this month to promote special deals. Consider pitching them a bundle that’s only available during National Barbecue Month. You could run this on radio, TV, video and email. An integrated promotion like this should build excitement and drive traffic to their website and physical stores.
National Bike Month
The bike industry experienced a boon in 2020. Sales for bikes rose last year, hitting $1 billion in April of last year. Biking was perfect for quarantines, and both cities and rural areas saw new riders. Experts expect bicycles to continue to be hot sellers.
Sporting goods stores can use the month to promote bikes and their accessories to consumers. These ads will do well with video, showing the products in action.
Another option for National Bike Month is partnering with local parks and recreation departments. Video ads would be great here, as well, promoting the best bike trails in the city or county.
May National Days: Inspiring Opportunities
The month of May is full of days observing just about anything. Here are some that may be excellent opportunities for your advertisers.
May Food and Beverage Days
- Lemonade Day (May 2): An attractive video pouring fresh lemonade drinks and cocktails would be delicious for restaurants.
- Orange Juice Day (May 4): Fresh-squeezed OJ would also make an enticing video ad.
- Shrimp Day (May 10): Get mouths watering with shrimp creations. TV and display ads can promote specials for the day and lead customers to reserve their space or order takeout.
- Chocolate Chip Day (May 15): Pitch a campaign for this day with diners receiving a free chocolate chip cookie with purchase. It can attract customers and would work well on radio, TV, OTT and SMS.
- Wine Day (May 25): Wine lovers will be toasting on this day, so give them a reason to visit your customers. Wine deals from beverage retailers and bars are a great way to celebrate. You could run these on radio, TV and online.
- Hamburger Day (May 28): Burgers are authentic American cuisine. You could integrate this campaign with National Barbecue Month. Additionally, any restaurant that’s proud of its burgers can create specials for the day. Showing images of real customers enjoying their burgers could get mouths watering.
May Appreciation Days
- Teacher Appreciation Day (May 4): Teachers are true heroes, and your advertisers can use the day to give their thanks and offer discounts. For engagement, encourage your customers to tie in social media, where students can share stories about their favorite teachers. They could even pick a winner to receive a prize, which will lead to great media exposure.
- National Military Appreciation (all month): Advertisers should consider brand awareness advertising to express their appreciation for the military. In addition to making such a statement, businesses could announce special deals for active and retired military. Those specials can run on the radio and online. With digital advertising, you can target personas that are most likely to be military families.
- Nurses Day (May 6): It’s a great day to salute the work of nurses. You could use some of the same ideas as Teacher Appreciation Day. Offer promotions just for nurses (Instead of one day, why not all month?), and ask for stories about local nurses, choosing a winner.
May Cause Days
- Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive Day (May 8): Do you have advertisers that are community-driven? An idea to observe this day could be encouraging consumers to donate food at their location. Advertisers could also run one-day promotions, saying they’ll donate a portion of proceeds to a local food bank. Start early on this promotion, and offer bundles for radio, digital and TV.
- National Rescue Dog Day (May 20): Consumers appreciate when companies have a heart, and most are animal lovers. It’s a chance for retailers to partner with nonprofits for a donation of proceeds on the day. Brands could also highlight adoptable dogs in display ads.
Be Ready to Wow Advertisers with May National Day Campaign Ideas
May national day campaign ideas offer unique approaches for your advertisers. Outside of traditional holidays, leverage these fun and memorable days to share messages, promote specials and engage customers. These creative options could deliver positive ROAS (return on ad spend) and could become an annual campaign, ensuring your advertisers stay loyal.