May is 31 days of commemorations, celebrations and observances. Beyond the standard spring holidays, it’s a month with many national days. These often trend on social media and in the media, so why not take these ideas to your advertisers? To help you, we put together these May national day campaign ideas!
May Boasts Many Month-Long Celebrations
May is the national month to commemorate many pastimes, causes and more.
National Barbecue Month
Any company in the outdoor living spaces industry should leverage this to build excitement around barbecues. Many consumers have spent the last year upgrading their exterior spaces, and now they’ll be enjoying them. Ad campaign ideas include:
- Grill giveaways: Run promotions on linear and digital to announce the competition. This would also work well with mobile messaging You’ll want consumers to provide at least an email address when they enter the giveaway; this allows your advertiser to continue building appeal via email marketing.
- “Show Us What You’re Grilling” contests: Prompt grillers to share their meals on social media, tagging the advertiser. These can be highly engaging and can help brands add social media followers. They can “judge” entrants and give them a virtual “Best Griller” trophy.
- Specials on grills, furniture and more: Advertisers can also use this month to promote special deals. Consider pitching them a bundle that’s only available during National Barbecue Month. You could run this on radio, TV, video and email. An integrated promotion like this should build excitement and drive traffic to their website and physical stores.
National Bike Month
The bike industry saw a surge in 2020, and it’s kept pace. As of April 2021, the industry experienced a 57% year-over-year increase. More people are riding than before, and the demographic for bicyclers is really anyone.
Sporting goods stores can use the month to promote bikes and their accessories to consumers. These ads will do well with video to show the products in action. These could play on OTT/CTV, social media, TV or display ads.
Another option for National Bike Month is partnering with local parks and recreation departments. Video ads would be great here as well, promoting the best bike trails in the city or county.
May National Days: Inspiring Opportunities
The month of May is full of days observing just about anything. Here are some that may be excellent opportunities for your advertisers.
May Food and Beverage Days
- Lemonade Day (May 1): An attractive video pouring fresh lemonade drinks and cocktails would be delicious for restaurants.
- Orange Juice Day (May 4): Fresh-squeezed OJ would also make an enticing video ad.
- Shrimp Day (May 10): Get mouths watering with shrimp creations. TV and display ads can promote specials for the day and lead customers to reserve their space or order takeout.
- Chocolate Chip Day (May 15): Pitch a campaign for this day with diners receiving a free chocolate chip cookie with purchase. It can attract customers and work well on radio, TV, OTT and SMS.
- Wine Day (May 25): Wine lovers will be toasting on this day, so give them a reason to visit your customers. Wine deals from beverage retailers and bars are a great way to celebrate. You could run these on radio, TV and online.
- Hamburger Day (May 28): Burgers are authentic American cuisine. You could integrate this campaign with National Barbecue Month. Additionally, any restaurant proud of its burgers can create specials for the day. Showing images of real customers enjoying their burgers could get mouths watering.
Teacher Appreciation Day (May 3)
Teachers are true heroes, and your advertisers can use the day to give their thanks and offer discounts. For engagement, encourage your customers to tie in social media, where students can share stories about their favorite teachers. They could even pick a winner to receive a prize, which could lead to media exposure.
National Military Appreciation (all month)
Advertisers should consider brand awareness advertising to express their appreciation for the military. In addition to making such a statement, businesses could announce special deals for active and retired military. Those specials can run on the radio and online. With digital advertising, you can target personas that are most likely to be military families.
Nurses Day (May 6)
It’s a great day to salute the work of nurses. You could use some of the same ideas as Teacher Appreciation Day. Offer promotions just for nurses (Instead of one day, why not all month?), and ask for stories about local nurses, choosing a winner.
National Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive Day (May 14)
Do you have advertisers that are community-driven? An idea to observe this day could be encouraging consumers to donate food at their location. Advertisers could also run one-day promotions, saying they’ll donate a portion of proceeds to a local food bank. Start early on this promotion, and offer linear and digital bundles.
Skin Cancer Awareness (all month)
May seeks to educate people about the dangers of skin cancer. According to the American Cancer Society, it’s the most common form of cancer. The organization expects nearly 1 million people in the U.S. to receive a skin cancer diagnosis in 2022.
You could approach dermatologists to create educational ad content to observe the day. Display or video ads could run on social media or OTT/CTV. They could link back to the clinician’s webpage that contains more information.
Other advertisers may also be interested in raising melanoma treatment and research funds. Often, those with a personal story want to get involved. If any of your customers do, talk with them about donating proceeds from the day to a nonprofit, which you could promote via social media, geofencing display ads, email and SMS.
You can kick things off on Melanoma Monday (May 2) and continue the campaign throughout the month.
National Dental Care Awareness (all month)
Your dental advertisers will want to capitalize on National Dental Care Awareness. Dental care is health care! Unfortunately, many avoid the dentist for various reasons, such as fear or lack of dental insurance. Chat with dental practices about creating an integrated campaign that educates people on why they need to take care of their teeth, along with tips.
While these can be informational ads, they can also promote their services, from basic cleanings to cosmetic procedures to implants. To ensure reach and targeting, propose ad spots on TV or radio along with digital display and social media ads. They can also reach out to current patients through email or SMS.
National Rescue Dog Day (May 20)
Consumers appreciate when companies have a heart, and most are animal lovers. It’s a chance for retailers to partner with nonprofits for a donation of proceeds on the day. Brands could also highlight adoptable dogs in display ads.
More May Days
National Life Insurance Day (May 2)
This occasion is perfect for your insurance advertisers. Life insurance can be a sensitive topic, but it’s a product that many people believe is essential. In 2020, 54% of Americans had some coverage. Your advertisers could opt for social media ads or targeted display ads based on demographics most likely to purchase (i.e., parents, those aged over 50, etc.) to attract new customers.
You could recommend email marketing options for current customers who don’t have life insurance. Ads and content should include the benefits of having life insurance and how it provides peace of mind.
Be Ready to Wow Advertisers with May National Day Campaign Ideas
May national day campaign ideas offer unique approaches for your advertisers. Outside of traditional holidays, leverage these fun and memorable days to share messages, promote specials and engage customers. These creative options could deliver positive ROAS (return on ad spend) and could become an annual campaign, ensuring your advertisers stay loyal.
Want more great ideas written by and for broadcast sales experts? Be sure to subscribe to Aspire!